Friday, October 9, 2009

Out of Control and searching for hope

It really doesn't matter how long you have been running on the infertility treadmill (one year or eight) you may have a sense of being "out of control" of your life.  You had expectations about the way things "should be" and things are not going according to plan. 


I once heard that if you want to make God chuckle, tell him you have a plan.  Wrestling with having a baby was never part of your plan or mine.  The other memorable truism of life is that "Change is the only one thing that you can be certain of in life". 


I endured more than seven years of infertility.  Having a baby had become the most important thing in my life, it engulfed every aspect of my being.  It impacted my marriage, my job, my self esteem and my outlook for my future.  Some words of wisdom that helped get me through the treatment and offered comfort when comfort was scarce was offered by my mom
She said: "Keep faith that you can be a mom, we don't know how or when, but there are options and you have choices... but you can become a mom"


She would then talk about advanced treatment options and adoption.  Knowing that I had options gave me hope to continue forward and explore the options that were ahead of me.  Hold on to that belief, you can be a parent.




No comments:

Post a Comment